Thursday, July 18, 2013

A little quirky...tinfoil night stand tutorial

Do you think outside of the box? Do you look for something a little different? Are you drawn to the road less taken?

That's where this little piece of furniture came in.

We believe each piece of old or discarded furniture has a story to tell and a possibility at new life.

That's where this little night stand came into play. It had been sitting out under my grandpa's carport without a purpose or a reason. It had been mine, then my younger sisters and when we out grew the style it went the way of discarded furniture. It ended up being passed around until it landed under the carport.

I had seen a fun and cute nightstand on pinterest and wanted to give it a try with my own twist.

When I saw this little nightstand I knew it was my chance.

Tools you'll need:
 A piece of furniture (I'd start with a smaller simple lined piece)
Tin Foil (I used the heavier grill foil in larger size)
Modge Podge
A Paint Stick (2-3)
Sandpaper (fine grit)
Paint
Glaze
Water
Paint brush
Rags

This is what I did:

1. Lightly Sanded the piece all over. (Some say this isn't necessary, I didn't want to chance it.

2. Cut my pieces of tinfoil I measured the tops, sides et cetera and added about 1/4" more. Then I crumpled each piece.

3. I started with the sides. I covered the side with a generous but not runny layer of Modge Podge then I lightly smoothed out my tinfoil and applied a light layer of Modge Podge to the dull side of the foil. I put the foil in place and using my paint stick I smoothed and worked the foil until I had it looking the way I wanted it and covering the piece. Take your time. You don't want tears and the Modge Podge does give you a little working time.

4. Work each area until covered. Don't worry about tearing pieces. Just fit them like a puzzle to get into the front and smaller areas.

5. Let dry for 4-6 hours

6. Cover the entire piece with a thin layer of Modge Podge. Let dry 12 hours. Then apply one more layer of Modge Podge. This will ensure that you have good coverage and that it will be protected.

7. Lightly sand, basically just use your fine sand paper and rub gently over the piece.  Wipe with a damp cloth.

8. I used black paint. You could use a color of your choice.  Mix it with equal parts glaze and a 1/2 tsp of water. Mix well. It will be very thin. Use your paint brush to brush a layer of the glaze over the entire piece. I let this sit for about 15 minutes. It is slow drying so you have time.  Then start to dab and wipe the piece. Highlighting the nooks and cranny's created by the foil. Repeat the process. (I did this 3 times to achieve the look and color I wanted.)

9. Last but not least - apply 1 MORE coat of Modge Podge! I actually put 2 more coats on the top to make it more durable.

Enjoy your piece!

ReVamped $30







No comments: